Vapor Intrusion emerged as a significant issue in the environmental risk assessment and property due diligence industry in the mid 2000s. The first standard to assess for vapor intrusion risk was released by ASTM in 2008. It was subsequently revised to reflect the encroachment of contaminated vapors onto a property, rather than the intrusion of vapors into a structure in 2010. A task group linked this standard to the revised ASTM E1527-13 Phase I ESA Standard, clarifying that the Phase I standard does not exclude contamination caused by hazardous vapors. EPA has subsequently updated it’s All Appropriate Inquiries rule, naming ASTM E1527-13 as a method for compliance with the rule’s ten performance standards.
A few years later, the standard underwent additional revisions and in December of 2015, ASTM published E 2600-15, Standard Guide for Vapor Encroachment Screening on Property Involved in Real Estate Transactions.
Today, over of 90% of environmental professionals consider a screen for vapor issues part of the Phase I ESA. Utilizing ASTM E2600-15 is the preferred methodology for conducting this screen, and EDR’s VEC App is the industry’s only Vapor Encroachment Assessment Tool.
WHAT IT'S USED FOR
EDR’s VEC App is an intuitive data analysis interface that allows environmental professionals to quickly and effectively screen their target properties for vapor encroachment risk.
In the VEC App, you can view all of the following sources in a single browser experience:
- Current government records with full details
- USGS contour lines and a geo-referenced current USGS topographic map
- Sanborn Maps (when ordered)
- USDA soils data
- A current aerial photo
- EDR’s exclusive AQUIFLOW® data
- EDR’s proprietary gas station/dry cleaner data
The power of the VEC App is in its built-in analytical tools:
- Apply advanced GIS technology using Quick Screen
- Use the step-by-step wizard for a thorough and accurate evaluation
- Measure precisely with a “point-and-click” distance tool
It also allows for simple documentation of your ASTM E2600-15 compliance by creating a customized report:
- Decide which records you want to include, exclude or place in the appendix
- Choose pre-formatted comments or enter your own
- Output your final report as many times as you like for 90 days (PDF/Word)
- Clearly demonstrate to your clients that you followed the E2600 standard