On Thursday, June 9th, EDR’s Lender Solutions team was in action at the Mortgage Bankers Association of NY’s (MBAofNY) Strategic Real Estate & Lending Summit at the Affinia Hotel in New York City. EDR partnered with the MBAofNY to organize the full-day event that offered educational sessions on both commercial and residential lending.
EDR Insight’s Dianne Crocker kicked off the day with a dynamic panel of commercial real estate economists in her session, “The Future of Real Estate Lending in an Uncertain Market.” Ryan Severino, senior economist with REIS, Inc., Heidi Learner, chief economist with Savills Studley, and Eric Lewis, executive managing director of valuation from Cushman & Wakefield, reassured attendees that fundamentals across market classes remain relatively strong.
Al Gabberty, Collateral360 product manager, teamed up with Adam Alessi, chief appraiser & environmental risk officer, First Niagara Bank, to discuss how technology is helping lenders improve efficiency and provide a competitive advantage. EDR’s Jamie Haberlen moderated the session and also served as the conference emcee, entertaining the audience and orchestrating the day’s events.
In addition to eight information-rich sessions, the audience was treated to a lunch keynote from Dottie Herman (pictured below), president and CEO of Douglas Elliman, one of the most success brokerage firms in New York. Herman shared her story of a successful career from humble beginnings to her recent designation as Forbes magazine’s richest self-made woman in American real estate.
The 150 registered attendees had a full agenda for the day, and many were able to take advantage of continuing education credits that are required in their careers. Other sessions included:
- Vendor Management – How Well Do You Know Your Vendors? (Scott Roller, 3W Partners; Justin Angelo and James Kim of legal firm Ballard Spahr).
- Government Affairs – A View From Inside the Beltway (Carol Bouchner, Genworth).
- CRE Market Overview – Where the Deals Are in 2016 (Fred McDonald, Popular Community Bank; Colleen Blumenthal, Health Trust; Ray Cirz, Integra Realty Resources; Steven Michels, Cushman & Wakefield; Mark Godfrey, CBRE; and Morgan Turnbow, Colliers International).
- Taking Advantage of Opportunities in Social Media (Steve Richman, Genworth).
- TRID – What’s Working, What’s Not, What’s Next (Kathy Lovece, Freedom Mortgage; Jack DeCosta, Optimal Blue; Gavin Ales, DocMagic; Bonnie Nachamie, Esq; Zahra Jafri, Lynx Mortgage Bank)
- Foreign Investments & New Sources of Funding (Clem Turner, Hormieier & Law; William Procida, Procida Funding; David Soares, Lexden Capital; Allen Shayanfekr, Shareestates.com)
This was the second annual Strategic Real Estate & Lending Summit that EDR and the MBA of NY have partnered on, and attendance registered a healthy 12 percent increase over the 2015 summit. “It is so exciting to watch this event grow so quickly in terms of both quality content and attendance. We had a remarkable lineup of speakers—some of the best minds in real estate, technology and lending. Delivering timely, insightful information and providing professional networking opportunities are key to the value we deliver to our members,” said Fred McDonald, president of the MBA of New York. “I am looking forward to an even bigger event next year.”